|Grace Point - Our Host Church|
“Transform MidAtlantic”, our Converge MidAtlantic Leadership Conference for 2013 is behind us, but the impact of this gathering will remain for months and years to come! God’s Spirit moved in very clear and powerful ways at
Point in ,
June 19-21 as leaders from across our MidAtlantic region gathered together for
an incredible experience! Newtown, PA
180 pastors and leaders from 55 churches came together. The weather was beautiful! The hospitality from
was over the top! The worship was
powerful and inspirational. The food and
|Converge Cup Golf Event|
Seeing powerful stories of transformation was moving and very encouraging; stories of physical and spiritual healing, stories of deliverance from addictions, stories of churches growing rapidly before our very eyes, stories of lives and marriages being transformed on a professional football team. All of these and more, spoke of God’s
|Shane Claiborne "The Simple Way"|
Hearing the proclamation of God’s Word through Dr. Eric Mason as he spoke on how the Gospel is incarnated through our pain and suffering, was very moving. Hearing Dr. Dwight Perry teach about embracing diversity and the hard work that this involves, was needed and helpful. Hearing Shane Claiborne, in his simple and disarming style challenge us powerfully to live out the gospel in ways and places where it is countercultural and involves resistance from the status quo, was so motivating and convicting. Hearing Dr. Tom Nebel, share the
|Philadelphia Vietnamese |
Feedback from many of the Breakout sessions was very positive! Nearly 80 leaders traveled into the urban areas of
Philadelphia on Friday morning to learn about
and experience ministry in very hard and very needy places. Coz Crosscombe, Eric Mason and his team, and
Shane Claiborne at the Simple Way
community, all shared how
|Traveling to Urban Philadelphia|
Other sessions that many spoke about included: Pastor Jenkins’ session on “Making Pastoring Personal”, Dan Nold’s session on
|A Master Potter|
Symbol of Transformation
Three Pre-Conference sessions were also well attended and were very instructive! Ivan and Susan Veldhuizen interacted with global mission leaders from some of our MidAtlantic churches, resourcing them and providing a venue for these leaders to share best practices together. Scott Ridout taught for 6 hours on how to build a generosity culture in the local church. And Tom Nebel offered training on how to effectively coach other leaders, helping them to
succeed and to excel in their leadership and ministries.
Other highlights of God moving in our midst and in our region included:
· The welcoming of 6 churches into the MidAtlantic network
· Introducing and praying for 5 new church planting couples who have been sent out this past year
· The unanimous reaffirmation of our Converge MidAtlantic Executive Minister for an additional 4 year term
· The public introduction of a new vision for church planting across our region, called “Shaping the Future”, and a report that $162,000 has already been committed toward our goal of $500,000 in new funds for church planting over the next three years!
· Stories of significant spiritual transformation in
through 10 plus years of partnering with our Ukrainian brothers and sisters
· The celebration of God’s provision for Converge MidAtlantic ministries this past year, and the adoption of combined budgets for the coming year totaling $880,000.
· Opportunities to hear of God working through some of our partners such as Bethel University and Seminary, Cornerstone Fund, and across Converge Worldwide.
In the end, it seems as though God is challenging our leaders and churches to remain open to the work of the Spirit in our midst. And God is challenging us to continue to find ways to be his vessels to bring about transformation in every community he calls us to serve. I love Paul’s words in II Cor. 3, where he says: “And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit”.
|Brothers in Christ|
May God’s work of transformation continue in each of us in the days ahead!
Warmly in Christ,
Dan Peterson, Executive Minister